Total Pageviews

Friday, June 7, 2013

No electronics at the pool!

For us American-types it’s memorial day. For many of us it’s nearing summertime. I had no plans to rereun this post until a friend shared a near-miss with her daughter yesterday. She said to me pretty much what I share below regarding how THANKFUL she was she never, ever, ever uses her smartphone near a pool.

Note how this photo was NOT taken at the pool.

First, HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY to us American types.

Id imagine, even more than weekends, today is the day where blog posts go to wither & die.

The thing is, more than any other day, Id like to imagine my post today is *highly* applicable to today.

(does that even make any sense? is it like “allow myself to introduce myself” phrasing? sadly it all makes sense to me.)

I have a story to share.

A fleeting, frightening moment which made this highly plugged-in Mama grateful for the fact she UNPLUGS when the child arrives home.

It was a lovely, scorching HOT afternoon in the ATX & friend invited us over to swim.

I eagerly accepted. Part for the water-play & a lot for the friendship-time.

Life is too, too busy & Id not seen my friend in ages.

Life is too, too busy and, despite my best laid plans, the Tornado hadn’t been in a pool in ages.

I clearly remember plopping my smart phone on the passenger seat after I parked (ahhh the safety of the suburbs. some days I miss ye!).

I recall thinking: I dont need this by my side since the Tornado is here.

(Im crazy obsessed with the phone when she’s at school. It’s always with me. Im convinced the moment it’s NOT/the battery dies the school will immediately need to reach me STAT.)

Off we went.

Sunscreen slathered. Kids a’frolicking.  And I happily basked in the grown-up talk-time I craved.

My friend and I were chatting away when out of the corner of my eye I saw the Tornado begin to struggle.

She panicked, and even though there was a ‘noodle’ within her reach, she slid under gulping water as she went.

Within seconds I leaped fully clothed into the pool & dragged her to the side. Thankfully, outside of being terrified, she was entirely ok.

After a few hugs and a popsicle she returned to the water (& hasnt mentioned the experience again).

 Ive thought about it over and over and OVER since the day it happened.

More than anything I keep returning to the fact I left my smart-phone in the car and how thankful I am I did.

When I have my phone with me Im always slightly distracted.

When I have my phone with me it’s always buzzing, vibrating, ringing or lighting up and, no matter how PRESENT I strive to be, I tend to check it.

I like to think I check *quickly* but we all know how easily it is to get sucked into social media distractions.

Again and again and AGAIN Ive thought about how, had I been focusing on the smart phone, I might have missed the Tornado going under water.

Again and again and AGAIN Im grateful Ive made it a policy NEVER to bring my smart-phone to the pool.

I know I could miss a call. I know I could miss a text. Im certain Im missing emails, tweets, DMs & status updates.

Ive made it a policy to NEVER bring my smart-phone to the pool.

Join me?

I promise not to mind if you email, text, call, DM, tweet or status update another time.

PINKY SWEAR.


View the original article here

No comments: