Total Pageviews

Friday, April 13, 2012

It felt like coming home.

As bloggers, heck as *PEOPLE*, we talk constantly about the need to get out of our comfort zones.

We write the top four reasons why exiting the zone of comfy is crucial.

We listen to podcasts about how and why we should abandon what we’re used to and try!new!things!

We tweet & we Facebook about how today is the day! Im totally leaving my rut & trying something new!! and hope for encouraging words in response.

It was in that vein I submitted an audition essay to Listen To Your Mother show.

It had been eons since I’d written anything non-healthy living related and NEVER since I’d written anything essay-length or like.

I opened up a word doc, I sat for a moment, I collected my thoughts and fifteen minutes later I was finished.

I didn’t rush.

I wasn’t in “this is so awkward & uncomfortable I just want to get it done!” mode (Ive been there and hurried that).

What I wanted to say & the story I longed to tell flowed out of me.

It was as though Id carried it in my heart for so long all I needed to do was put finger to keyboard and it materialized.

And the experience of leaving my writing comfort zone? It felt surprisingly like coming home.

I was called in to audition for the Austin show‘s organizers and I rocked it.

I share this fact not pridefully rather as a reminder to myself (and I hope to you) how sometimes, when we take a deep breath and plunge ourselves into an experience which is new & scary, the results can surprise us.

It can feel like coming home.

Instead of feeling awkward & frightening it can feel like precisely where you were meant to be and exactly what you were meant to be doing.

It can feel like coming home.

Austin’s Listen To Your Mother show takes place at the end of April.

Similar shows are happening across the United States this month (cities are listed on their home page), too.

I encourage you to see if your city is hosting a Listen To Your Mother event.

I know how excited & honored I am by the opportunity to share my story.

I can only imagine all the other women feel the same.

I wonder, if to them as well, leaving the zone of comfort felt shockingly like returning home.


View the original article here

No comments: