Total Pageviews

Monday, September 26, 2011

Q+A: Newest Biggest Loser Trainer Anna Kournikova

Anna Kournikova, who has been a guest on the Ranch in the past, joins The Biggest Loser as  a full-time trainer this season, bring her own sort of fire and intensity and a whole new energy. Kournikova has had a tennis racket in her hands since the age of five, and, as the daughter of two athletes, grew up training hard, pounding backhands in her native Moscow, and made a splash on the international tennis circuit while still in her teens.

I met with Anna at the start of season 12 to discuss The Biggest Loser approach to food and nutrition and had the chance to ask her a little a bit about her career and what she would do to motivate the contestants this season.

What’s the greatest adversity you’ve faced and how did you overcome it?
Anna:
Having significant injuries as a professional athlete and finding creative ways to still workout and train.

What do you think you can do to inspire others?
Anna: The most important thing I can do to inspire others is to tell them to dream big! Growing up in the Soviet Union I was a small girl with very modest means but I had big dreams of becoming a professional tennis player. I can personally tell everyone that with a lot of hard work and dedication you can achieve things that you never thought were possible.

What would most surprise people about you?
Anna: I am a huge adrenaline junky and love to try all sorts of cool and exciting action sports.

How would you describe your tennis playing style, and, how if at all, do you think this relates to your approach to life?
Anna: I have always loved to be creative on the court, and sometimes it worked to my advantage and sometimes it didn’t. I was never a “play it safe” athlete; I always loved to take some risks. I think I approach life this way, too.

I am, overall, pretty regimented, which is a given having been a professional athlete, but I love to mix it up a bit and have some fun. I am a Gemini so it’s in my blood!

What is your favorite recovery food, following an intense workout?
Anna: All the carb choices like bananas, oranges, or whole wheat pasta if I need more fuel to keep going.

What’s your food weakness or indulgence?
Anna:
I love a juicy cheeseburger with sweet potato fries

What is one meal or snack you love that feels indulgent, but isn’t?
Anna: Guacamole and whole wheat tortilla chips -- of course, in moderation!

What do you listen to when working out?
Anna:
Anything and everything that keeps me moving and motivated!

What’s the best advice you’ve ever gotten?
Anna:
Trust your gut, and know who you are as a person. You really have to know who you are and you have to be a complete person before you can give to others.


View the original article here

No comments: