Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Put Some Zensah On That Ass! Here’s Why

Greedy Kid #1 modeling Zensah

I keep hearing the name Zensaaah! People are obviously talking. Then I heard what they do. Compresssssion … [insert music of intrigue and suspense here]

But what exactly is compression. Do you need it? And what makes Zensah the brand you should be looking at?

Instead of posing as the intellectual humanoid that i am not (I’m only 1/2 humanoid, which explains a lot), I turned to Livestrong for a thorough, reliable and respected explanation on what compression does:

Provides support and control.Reduces muscle soreness and promotes faster recovery.Improves blood circulation and lessens muscle fatigue.Provides sweat-wicking to keep you dryer and cooler.May protect against thrombosis.

You should really go read the full article. All of these compressionalized qualities can help you trainer better, perform better and get the most of out muscle-demanding workouts like running, biking and the plyometric shenanigans I’m doing with Insanity right now.

I browsed 3 different athletic stores to see if I could find compression shorts that compared to the quality of the Zensah. But nada. I did not. Before I sampled the Zensah 3/4 High Compression Capris (they sent them to me), I had long fooled myself into thinking that I already owned compression shorts. Aren’t they the tight biker-ish shorts that hug your booty and thighs, make the fat slab remnants spill over the waistline and enhance the look of those exercise-sweaty spots in, emmm, certain areas?

Nope. That’s not the same thing as compression.

I’ve had these Zensah’s since early July, but I still can’t get over the super soft and comfy feel of the fabric: 85% polyamide and 15% elastan. It’s tight and stretchy (aka, holds stuff in, smooths stuff out, and gives needed support) yet somehow allows for free movement without the feeling that you’re miserably squished into the capris. The sweat-wicking factor is also really important, because who the hell wants booty sweat showing on the backside after a hard workout?

I wish I could jump right out the blog and have you look at these Zensah’s for yourself. Their $85.99 high end pricing may give you sticker shock, but I encourage you to go for it anyway; if you’re the type to occasionally treat yourself to quality goodness, you need to be treating yourself to a pair of Zensah’s. Put them on your list of “things to buy” or add them to your wish list. It may seem like a splurge, but Zensah is a beneficial tool just like those other workout aids you invest in.

Note! Although I’m a “Small/Medium” on Zensah’s sizing chart, I would have done even better with a “Medium/Large”, because they run slightly small for women with thigh and booty curves. If you have curves, go up a size.

I have crazy respect for the hardcore types I come across that run and bike for some serious miles. Many of them sing the praises of compression for training and race day events, and some have mentioned the Zensah brand in particular. I trust what the hardcore peeps are saying.

Have you heard of compression clothing or have you tried it yet?


View the original article here

No comments: