Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Are you a square peg?

Many thanks to Stephanie for sending this blog post my way.


It completely amazes me MizFit is four and a half years old.

(I look back on the blogging I did in 2001, too, and snicker at how rudimentary it all was—but that’s a different discussion for us old fogies post)

It seems like yesterday I sat on the couch with a now famous writer-friend, while the Tornado destroyed the play room, and announced:

Im starting a new blog. A fitness blog. A personal development blog. Im calling it Sisyphit!

Yep.

You read that correctly.

That was my plan.

You see to me, many days, the actions of getting fit & staying fit and leading a healthy life can all conspire to feel precisely like the myth of Sisyphus.

Thankfully my loving friend (& all other friends, family & veritable strangers I approached with the name) informed my while creative my new blog name sounded like a venereal disease.

So I pondered & I mulled and I tested and I settled on MizFit.

An attempt to convey what the blog is mainly about (fitness) *and* what the blog-writer really is (misfit).

Which rather circuitously leads me back to the Harvard Business Review blog post aptly titled What kind of misfit are you?

It’s a phenomenal post (Umair Haque being a far better writer than I) extolling the virtues of non-conformity.

Some of my favorite lines being (excluding the first sentence which I love since I seem to type it every other blog post):

It’s not that every misfit accomplishes something fundamentally unexpectedly awesome…But it’s also probable that most things unexpected, radical, and breathtakingly awesome take just a little bit of nonconformity; just a little bit of dissatisfaction with “the way things are.”

I stood and cheered while I read this post Haque’s post hit home the first time I read it and even more so today as this misfit prepares to head out (or am already out. or am already DONE depending on when you read this.) to Muffin Morning.

An event which is the launching pad for the Kindergarten experience complete with teacher-meeting, parent schmoozing, tattoo revealing, PTA sign-ups, Girl Scout opportunities—you get the idea.

A mandatory gathering where I find myself grateful to already know precisely the comfortable in my own skin, happily marching to the beat of my own drum misfit I am.

And thats my question for you today with many thanks to Haque for his post.

What kind of misfit are you?

An awkward gazelle in an a world of Solid Gold dancers?

A proud-tech nerd in this land of semi-Luddites (*raises hand at mention of the L-word*)?

A plain ole square-peg (who remembers fondly, as I do, when SJP was NOT a fashion icon)?

Please to hit us misfits up in the comments below.


View the original article here

No comments: