Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Life balance: not easy but necessity (guest post)

My sensei, Mizfit, knows this to be true as I still look to her for guidance on BALANCING life and getting it all done!

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t get it all done.

I am my all means the definition of a work in progress.

I have made improvements, though, and that in and of itself is cause for being thankful!

I’ve learned that balance in life is not easy, but it is a necessity. We can’t get it ALL done nor expect to get none of it done at the same time. Mizfit’s term of monotasking has been my biggest area of focus.

Monotask!

Do each task you set out to do to its fullest and to the best of your ability. I don’t halfass and I don’t put too much work into anything. I just do my best. I try to do each task separately now, too, so they don’t cloud together. Into mush.

I work to live and don’t live to work.

Period.

We all may not have the job that we dreamed we’d have nor are we 100% ecstatic about going to a place for 8+ hours a day away from the things we do love.

However, 99% of the time, it’s what we have to do to make a living.

Do a job and do it well, I always say.

Don’t make those 8+ hours misery nor make it so much fun that you’re job hunting every 2 months. I know that my job is what helps me vacation, travel, have dinners out with my husband, so it affords me those things I love to do. I respect it, but I also leave it at the door once I walk out of it.

Who comes first?

Your dog? Your children? Your husband? Your wife? Your cat? It should be YOU.

I’ve learned that I have to balance enough to make time for myself.

Whether it’s a 5 mile run right when I wake up or 30 minutes to make my toes look decent and not runner-like. If we take time for ourselves, we’ll feel at least a tad more refreshed than we did before. We also won’t feel as expended in the 5 million directions we get pulled in daily.

Organize as best you can.

I stay organized with a planner at work and a separate one for home. I pre-plan as much as I possibly can.

That includes date nights, time with friends, time to workout, time to blog, anything. If I at least set aside a reasonable amount of time to accomplish everything I want to accomplish, they don’t bleed together. They get their own separate special time.

Aaaand I don’t forget important events causing me to let down others – I’m big about keeping commitments.

Don’t over-commit.

In order to not let anyone down, including yourself, know your limits.

All-in-all I remember to not give in one area more than I should in another – after taking a look at prioritization.

Life isn’t about giving ALL to others and it’s not about giving ALL to yourself either.

That’s my main takeaway for BALANCE.  What’s YOURS?

Kat is a pug-mom and wife trying to stay fit while tackling work, getting creative intermittently, studying for her NASM CPT exam, and managing asthma while taking on an active life in general! Her fitness blog, sneakersandfingerpaints.com, helps her hold herself accountable for all the goals she plans on accomplishing and inspiring others to do the same.


View the original article here

No comments: