Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

10 Nighttime Snack Ideas

I had this genius idea while at BlogHer last week to start a series of posts on Tuesdays for Top 10 lists. 

I like the idea of having a loose editorial calendar for the blog. It gives me a little creative constraint even though I don’t always keep my own schedule.

Tonight my focus is on snacks. I’m fighting my typical mindless evening snack cravings at this very moment.  I have a bag of Doritos, a box of Triscuits, and The Husband’s Ben & Jerry’s calling my name, all of which I can blow through without even blinking

So instead of eating, I’m writing. In my 8 years of maintaining I’ve learned the art of distraction. I’ve also learned you can’t always fight yourself when you have cravings. Sometimes you have to work with them. I’m always going to be an evening snacker. It’s just how I’m wired and frankly, I enjoy unwinding with a little treat at the end of the day once the kids are in bed I just have to be smart about it.

Here are my Top 10 Evening Snack Ideas for those times you just was something. 

10. Hot Tea and a VitaCake

I’m not listing Vitalicious just because I work with them, I swear! I really like this product. The VitaCakes are 50 calories, whole grain, and high fiber. They are the perfect small bite when you just want something sweet, and the Fudgy Chocolate goes great with a hot cup of peppermint tea. Click here to check out all of Vitalicious Products and don’t forget to use my code RONISWEIGH for 10% 

Screen Shot 2013-08-05 at 2.31.07 PM

9. Strawberries and Chocolate

I haven’t done this in a while but when I was losing, I was obsessed! Wash some fresh strawberries, crack open a single serving of sugar-free chocolate pudding and dip away! It’s sinfully indulgent but super light and lasts a long time. I’d eat any remaining pudding by licking it off my fingers ’cause that’s how I roll.

8. Frozen Grapes

A summer favorite! If you haven’t tried it yet you must! Anytime I buy grapes we eat some fresh and then I pop them in the freezer before they go bad. My 8-year-old loves them too!

7. Bell Pepper Nachos

I came up with this idea a few weeks ago when I was seriously craving something cheesy. Click here to see my original posting. I added avocado but it’s totally optional. Next time I’m thinking a jalapeño slice each!

20130526_pepper_nachos2

6. FRIES!

Another life saver when I was losing. I’d keep fresh butternut squash on hand and bake fresh batches of butternut squash fries when my appetite was insatiable. Let me tell you from experience, eating a whole butternut squash will fill you up! 

5. PIZZA!

Notice I got all excited about pizza and fries. These 2 things are definitely a weakness for me but instead of avoiding I embrace and use them as inspiration. I have a whole category devoted to pizza on GreenLiteBites and I’ve been known to fire up the oven at 10 p.m. to whip up a pizza-inspired creation. Hey, it’s better then picking up the phone and calling Dominos!

4. Cheese and “Crackers”

Another thing I’ve learned to make my own. “Old Roni” could do some major damage to a block of cheese, a box of Wheat Thins and a stick of pepperoni while watching TV.  Now when the cheese and cracker cravings set in I grab a cucumber, 1-2 wedges of The Laughing Cow and dried cranberries. Full disclosure: I work with The Laughing Cow too but that has no bearing on how much I love their products! All opinions are always my own.

20121216_cheese_crackers1

3. Homemade Yogurt Creations

If you were following me on Instagram a few months ago you may have followed along with #DailyYogurt where I shared a new creation every day. I don’t eat yogurt quite as much but I do enjoy it every couple of days as my evening snack. Click here to see a collection of some of my favorites.

dailyYogurt2_18

2. Banana Soft-Serve

I refuse to keep ice cream in stock (The Husband is the one going through Ben & Jerry’s obsession recently), it’s just too tempting. Instead I make sure to have a few frozen ripe bananas that I can easily turn into “ice cream” whenever I want. I normally just use my Magic Bullet but I also have the banana soft serve machine for larger batches when the kids want some as well.

20110119_bananaSoftServe

1. Popcorn

Popcorn has always been my night-time go to for the pure fact that you get a lot of bulk for minimum calories. I used to keep bags of microwave popcorn in stock but I have since moved on to a really cheap air-popper. Now I pop a big bowl,  spray with a little non-stick cooking spray (weird I know, hear me out) and sprinkle with salt. The cooking spray gives you just enough oil to help the salt stick without the need for melted butter. I’ve also been known to sprinkle Old Bay, cinnamon or cocoa powder on it as well. If I go with a sweet version, just the tiniest amount of powdered sugar works wonders!

What’s your evening go-to in times of cravings? I’d love a few more ideas! 


View the original article here

No comments: