Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Let’s Talk About Trigger Foods

20130604_triggers

That would be a box of Wheat Thins in my garbage. I can’t have them in my house. I just can’t, and I haven’t until someone sent me a box in a care package.

The moment they arrived I wanted to open them. I imagined myself just hacking at the block of cheese I have in the fridge and topping them. Cheese — another old trigger that only resurfaces when certain crackers are around. I stopped buying cheese in block form for years, but The Toddler is such a fan, I get them for him now.

Food triggers are interesting. Sometimes I have no desire when a trigger food is around. Other times the thought of the food is like a virus in my brain.

I’ve blogged about this before, specifically about my pizza addiction. That post is almost 6 years old and I can honestly say I’m not sure if I feel the same way anymore. I’ve controlled my environment so much, I’m rarely around the traditional stuff.

For me, that’s my first line of defense, environment control. I also get creative and find lighter, healthier trigger-food replacements. I’ve come up with a cheese and cracker alternative that I absolutely love and have you seem my pizza idea page on GreenLiteBites? Any time I get a craving, I invent a new way to eat pizza without eating pizza and, honestly, it works for me. Like I said, I haven’t really had or even wanted “real” pizza in years.

I’m not quite sure what the trigger behind the trigger food is for me. I swear it’s a texture thing. It’s like I want the food in my mouth and then once I take a bite I can’t stop myself from taking another one, and another one, and another one.

I also think there are ties to my childhood there. I remember eating cheese and crackers with my dad, and pizza was the one thing I was allowed to make as an after-school snack when I was young.

I know I’m not the only one with trigger-food issues so I thought I’d open this up for discussion and make it Question of the Week.

Do you have triggers? What are they? Why? And how do you keep them in check?


View the original article here

No comments: