Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Holy Stepmother of Competitive Stair Climbing!! (I’m totally doing this.)

\"lungCall it fate or call it misfortune. Call it 21 Levels of Torture?

Call it whatever the hells ya want, but I’ve crossed paths with this bad boy and I’m not backing down.

I’m all signed up for the American Lung Association’s “Fight For Air” stair climbing event this November. Yeee-haaaa! Greedy Kid #2 has agreed to climb with me.

The event is being held to raise awareness of children with asthma, lung cancer, teens who are pressured to smoke, and other situations related to lung disease.  Greedy Kid #1 was terribly asthmatic as a youngster. There were many emergency visits to the hospital when she was small. Watching your child struggle to breathe is such a scary thing. \"icon  

Yet Delaware’s tallest building isn’t THAT tall. It’s 21 flights (500 steps). But the event’s “Kilo Climbers”, as they call it, will be climbing the building twice, so that’s 42 flights for 1,000 steps.

I’m registered as a Kilo Climber, of course. That’s how beastmode does it.

This is the building I’ll be climbing… \"stairclimb

[photo credit]

I sometimes climb stairs at my job in the winter months as an alternative to lunchtime power walks in the freezing cold. I don’t want my booty cheeks to go numb from the frostbites, ya know. My winter program involves re-climbing the same 4 flights of stairs (there’s obviously a lot of up & down going on), so I’ve easily climbed over 1,000 steps in any given day. But whoa — I’ve never done that in a straight shot up 21 flights before.

I think I’m gonna be fine. I got this, right? I’m gonna make those stairs my beyotch, you say? Well golly gee, thanks for your encouragement.

**All climbers are required to raise a minimum of $100 prior to event day to benefit the American Lung Association. Won’t you be one of my lovely sponsors? Please visit my Fight For Air page to make a tax deductible donation. I appreciate your sponsorific generosity of any amount. \"icon

…and now I’m suddenly hyperventilating with increased heartbeats over the thought of 1,000 steps. Somebody slap me.


View the original article here

No comments: