Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Weekend Quote: Confidence and Awesomeness

The other day I received an email from a reader who recently completed her first half marathon.

Let’s think about that for a minute…

Her first HALF Marathon!

That’s just over 13 miles.

THIRTEEN MILES!

When was the last time you ran 13 miles? (No comments form those uber athletes that may be reading. I’m talk to those of us who are newer to the world of fitness.)

Instead of being proud of her amazing accomplishment she focused on all the things she could have done better.

ohh that perfection gene is a killer, isn’t it?

Listen guys, it’s taken me a long time to get to where I am (funny enough to say as I’m typing this at 6:30 AM before heading out for my Saturday Tough Mudder Training) and I STILL battle this mindset a little. Let me stress A LITTLE because it does start to fade the more goals you set and achieve.

The voice goes from a scream to a whisper when you start to accomplish things despite of it telling you, you aren’t good enough, fast enough, skinny enough, worthy enough.

It does.

I promise.

You have to just. keep. moving. forward.

Part of my response to this email was…

Keep doing what you’re doing. Set goals and reach them.. your confidence will catch up to your awesomeness. I promise. :) 

Although, it had more typos in it because my brain works faster than my fingers most of the time. When I read emails like this I respond from my heart, it’s a visceral reaction because I know it’s what I need to hear myself. These insecure feelings I have held me back for so long and I’m shocked they are so common. There are so many of us whose body image and weight issues stem from a lack of confidence and sense of worth.

I will continue to ignore my inner voice and move forward.

I will continue to set goals and reach them.

And I hope you will too.

Now.. off to training! I’m gonna be late!


View the original article here

No comments: