Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Ignoring the Peanut Gallery

peanut gallery

A few weeks ago, I strapped Little Bean in the stroller and took advantage of a gorgeous fall day by going for a run. While crossing an intersection I glanced over to the cars waiting at the light and saw a guy opening his window. All of a sudden he blurts out,

"Stop running. You’re too thin!"

I so wanted to flip him the bird and NOT in a cute way like the husband.

Instead, I ignored him and just kept running.

My mind was racing…

First of all, I’m not running to be thin, I’m running because I like the way it makes me feel. Second, Too thin? Really? I’m not going to lie, part of me was a little flattered even though I know he didn’t mean it as a compliment, but then I gave myself a mental slap and remembered (third) his opinion doesn’t mean squat to me. I don’t care if you think I’m fat, skinny, or anything in between. It’s taken me a long time to realize that the only person’s opinion about my body that matters is mine. Everyone else can go–trying to keep it clean here–suck a duck. Fourth–because now I’m on a roll– who do you think you are spewing your opinions out you car window? I mean, really, what are you trying to accomplish?

Why do people feel the need to give unsolicited advice?

Like…

"Anon" who left a comment on my Weight Progress page today…

You’ve been plateaued for years and need to make some changes! Start reading up on paleo/primal, reinvestigate intermittent fasting, research high intensity interval training, blood type theory, leptin etc. You aren’t making progress, you’re going backwards. As long as you *think* you have an ED, you do. Mark’s Daily Apple has a lot of good info, you might want to head over there.

My response…

Not sure what you are talking about. I’ve maintained for years. How THIN do you think I should (or anyone) should be?!?

Here I have one schmuck telling me I’m too thin and another one giving me weight loss advice because I’m "going backwards??"

THIS is why you ignore the Peanut Gallery. If you don’t, you’re doomed. It’s impossible to make everyone happy. Do what’s right for you and ignore the naysayers.

You know what they say, opinions are like…. fill in the blank. I’ve been sassy enough in this post already. ;)


View the original article here

No comments: