Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Hannah’s Tummy Tuck Update & Day 5 Pictures

(If you need to start from the beginning, here’s Post #1: Pre-Surgery)

You remember our friend, Hannah, before surgery (above). Now this is her 5 days later….

I can see that Hannah’s waste is slimmer and she has a cute, new belly button (can I get one of those??). Hannah pointed out a concern about her waist. “My waist measurement is not smaller than pre-surgery. I will interrogate the doctor about when to expect shrinkage,” she said. Although the numbers say no current shrinkage yet, my eyeballs see major differences all the way around. Don’t you agree?

Hannah’s Thoughts and Insights (things take a slight turn at the end):

Tuesday, November 15th: Surgery started at 9, I was home by 2. The doctor said she took 1 pound of skin off. I mentioned that I’d hoped for more and she said skin doesn’t weigh much. Surprise! I was not in pain. My stomach was numb from local anesthesia. I took Percocet when I got home. Any “pain” was only when I got up or down. I had on a binding garment filled with gauze and stuff so I wasn’t able to feel smaller. I could have undone that whole mess to see the wound, but I didn’t. My husband is home to wait on me and keep me on my pill schedule. Sleeping was easy but I had to wake him for help to the restroom. We were both amazed at the lack of agony or intense pain. I also texted with several friends much to their amazement.

Wednesday, November 16th: Discomfort or pain was only noticed when I got up and down. It felt like a burning sensation. I think the Percocet may have an energizing affect, because I couldn’t even take a nap. I thought I might quit taking it but I gave in at noon and took it every 5 hours for the rest of the day. The dosage was 1-2 pills every 4-6 hours. I took one every five. The nurse had recommended that I stay ahead of the pain so I did. I’m trying to drink a lot of fluids which means many trips to the bathroom. Wednesday night I slept in the recliner, but my husband had to sleep on the couch because I could not get the chair down on my own.

Thursday, November 17th: My friend came to hang out with me and she was amazed at my condition. We visited until it was time for my 3:00 doctor appointment. She went to the doctor with me and was amazed when the doctor unveiled my tummy. My stomach does have less skin but it is not smaller. In fact, I measured it when I got home and it is actually bigger. I know that will go away but it is a little un-nerving. The doctor said my muscles were very separated (her visual was about 1.5 inches) and she repaired that. She said I could shower and work on standing up straight. I went home exhausted, a little depressed and sort of nauseated. I just slept it off (recliner again).

Friday, November 18th: My son came to stay with me for a few hours today (how sweet). I feel better every day. Now my focus is to practice standing straighter. My back aches a little from being hunched over but when I stand up my front side feels tight but not sore. I have napped today and I’m just taking it easy while I’m awake. I’m a little irrationally paranoid about the swelling in my tummy. I mean, what if that never goes away? I’ll just worry about that tomorrow (or the next day).

Sunday, November 20th (day 5): All is going well. I take Advil a couple of times a day. I sleep in the recliner because it is easier to get out of than bed. My only discomfort is at the drain sites which burn from time to time. I hope to get those removed when I go back Wednesday. My belly button is cute but it is a little “off center”. One side at the hip area is a little funny looking at the incision site. I am still swollen. In fact, by the tape measure now I am still the same size as before. So it has gotten smaller than the first day or two. I am not concerned about any of this yet. When I go back I’ll talk to the surgeon and get her feedback. I am working on standing up straight and that feels funny but not uncomfortable. I walked on the treadmill for 10 min today at 1.5 mph. (surgeon approved). That felt good. I am a little bored. In fact, I am going to work for 2-3 hours tomorrow just cause. Nothing I’ve been through yet would cause me to discourage anyone who is considering this procedure.

Tuesday, November 22nd (day 7): I had an incident this morning that I wanted to report. So far, I have made this seem like a piece of cake and overall it has been. The hip to hip scar that I have looks like it should hurt but it absolutely does not. In addition to that incision, I have two rubber tubes (approx. 1/4?) hanging out of my abdomen real low down. They hang out about 2 inches. These drains allow the ooze and gunk to escape. Some surgeons put a catch bulb at the end of these that requires emptying. My surgeon just has me wear a mini pad on the front of my underwear to catch the output. The only pain I have experienced has come from these drain areas. One hurts more than the other. If I move wrong, I feel a burning pain. This is the reason I sleep in the recliner. Trying to lay down causes more “wrong” movements. Even sleeping in the recliner, first thing in the morning the drains hurt. I just hurry to get some Advil in me and soon it is all better. This morning was the worst ever. Walking was painful, hell even breathing was painful. I had dogs to feed, etc. I was sweating and cold all at once. I thought I might get sick. It passed in about 20 minutes but it was a looong 20 minutes. I go back to the doctor tomorrow and I might get the drains removed. It depends on output. If they are still producing, they’ll stay. My future strategy is to have my husband feed me Advil first thing in the morning before I need to move. I am working on standing straighter. It doesn’t hurt but I can feel stretching in my belly. My back aches a little because it has to work harder. I went to work yesterday just to say hi and I stopped by the store to pick up a few things, and I came home exhausted.

What do you think of her progress? I wanna give a hand clap to Hannah’s family and friends for giving her the support and care she needs. If you have any questions for Hannah to address in her next update, please post it in the comments below or send me an email.


View the original article here

1 comment:

PeerMurphy said...

With a bit of a tummy tuck excess skin is removed and the rest is stretched down and sutured to the area just above your pubic mound.

Tummy tuck