Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

All I Want For Christmas is…

Ha! now I got that song stuck in your head. Didn’t I? I had that album when I was a kid–yes I mean the vinyl album–and listened to it over and over and over again with a little Nat King Cole mixed in. I knew every word, including the cheesy spoken intros with Dave.

OH how I LOVE the holidays! And this year I’m especially excited. For the first time ever we are staying home for Christmas. Just me and the boys creating our own traditions. I’m smiling just thinking about it!

You may be wondering why I’m talking about this now. Well, I realized something–We have exactly one month before Christmas (for those of you that celebrate.) That’s one month to give ourselves the best present ever.

Balance.

I’m not setting any specific weight loss or size goals by Christmas. The scale has not been my friend. Not because it’s not moving in the direction I want it to, that’s on me, but because it’s not a motivator for me any longer. I can’t explain it. I see the number and it bugs me, but it doesn’t motivate. If anything, it UNmotivates me.

Honestly, I just want to feel in control of my eating habits again. Old patterns and habits are resurfacing and I just don’t like it.

The solution for me is simple: It’s all about the food journal. I want the structure and the accountability and I’m committing to keep it until Christmas. Starting today.

Note: I’m putting no pressure on myself to share it real time or take the best photos. The journals will be raw and the photos are more for me to remember what I ate then to show off the food.

My post-Thanksgiving breakfast started with a grapefruit and cup of tea.

Then Mom and I enjoyed our free breakfast at Ikea.

Yes we shop on Black Friday, but we are aren’t the nut balls waiting in line. It’s all about mother/daughter time and getting a jump on the holiday shopping. While walking around the mall we shared a bag of popcorn too. It was nice. :)

When we came home I polished off the Thanksgiving salad.

I started this tradition last year and perfected it yesterday. This salad ROCKS! Greens, walnuts, gouda cheese, pears, dried cranberries and some raspberry vinaigrette. It’s TO DIE FOR!

After the salad I made the first of many leftover turkey sandwiches.

Click here for the recipe. I’m hoping to post a few more ideas this weekend.

It was soon time for a warm bowl of my homemade turkey soup.

It came out FABULOUS this year. I added a few cloves and cubes of ginger when I made the stock and it added such great flavor.

Before Little Guy went to bed we decided to split some frozen grapes and then I enjoyed one more bowl of soup while watching a movie with my parents.

I feel great about my choices today. Especially after yesterday. Let’s just say I had more than my share of pie, cookies AND truffles. Yes the Mother-in-Law brought truffles. I love and hate her at the same time. ;)

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

I’ll be back tomorrow. :)


View the original article here

No comments: