Total Pageviews

Friday, June 3, 2011

Protein Powder De-Virginator

So many people are doing it. Should I be doing it, too? Shhhh! …I’m a protein powder virgin.

I’ve never had a scoop or packet for supplemental purposes. Just call me a hippie, because I’ve always got my fix from natural sources like tuna, beans and Greek Yogurt. Limiting my carbs and increasing proteins began the journey to controlling my Greedy for good.

(Protein keeps you fuller than carbs. It just does.)

Then I introduced Shakeology to my double stomachs with its 16-18grams of protein. But eh, the shake is a complete meal, not a protein powder, so a virgin I still remain. With these torturous workouts I’ve been ‘flicting upon myself lately, I’m beginning to wonder if extra protein is necessary.

Do you, my fellow protein virgin, also wonder for yourself?

To avoid the dreary fate of crawling under a desk in confusion, I checked in with my buddy and fitness guru, Rog Law, to get his take on the situation. This is what he told me….

“The biggest reason to use a protein supplement is simply convenience. In a society where everyone is constantly on the go, this is one the easiest ways that you can get something healthy in on the go. Add that to the fact that most people (especially women) are notorious for not even getting in the RDA amount of protein, which is pretty low to begin with, and you have a solid case for adding more protein into your diet. Protein will also keep you full for longer in comparison to carbohydrates or fat, which goes a long way towards slaying the hunger beast.”

Then my cranium went half numb from thinking about Whey Protein vs. Soy Protein. And what the hell is Concentrate vs. Isolate!?

Despite my many virginistic questions, I’m sure I could probably benefit from a protein powder. But instead of throwing darts at the Google to pick the best powders, I asked some of my protein-wielding peeps which brands they recommend.

Insight From The Protein Wielders

Rog uses different varieties of Optimum Nutrition. He explained that you can get it at the Vitamin Shoppe, but make sure to ask for online pricing. It’s a big discount that’s not advertised. A 4.5 pound jug goes for around $50 and lasts about 60 days. It has 60 grams protein per serving (whoa), but you can use a 1/2 serving instead to stretch it longer.

Todd also uses Optimum Nutrition. He reviewed their 100% Whey Protein here.

Karen uses NOW Whey Protein Isolate and JC uses TrueProtein Casein with premium chocolate and EAS Whey (vanilla or chocolate).

Kohy prefers the “lighter tasting” low calorie, low carb protein shake VPX SRO Zero Carb. He also recommends his personal favorite, Dymatize Elite XT (formerly known as Elite 12hr), for those who prefer a more filling, shake with some body.

Jody has been using Met-Rx since the early 1990's. She is currently supplementing with their Protein Plus variety, which is almost all protein and a few carbs. Jody uses the supplement to make smoothies and adds it to oatmeal to make protein bars and cookies. She also mixes it with water or unsweetened vanilla almond milk for a mini meal. Yet despite Jody’s love for Met-Rx, she also gives Nutrabolics Isobolic Triple Isolate Protein Matrix a major-serious thumbs up.

Aren’t the Protein Wielders fantastic? They sure do make it easy for us to be lazy researchers so we can de-virginate with ease.

But for me? Not today. Not yet. I’m still gonna take this thing slooow. Let me soak up their recommendations and do some comparison-ing before I choose which powder to try out first.

So how about YOU? Will you de-virginate soon? Or have you been protein powdering for a while now?

(5/31/11 Edit: Some commenters have made good points that protein powders have fillers and unpronounceable ingredients. NOT liking that at all. Nooope.)

[photo]


View the original article here

No comments: