Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Lightlife Smart Cutlets (Original) Review

Lightlife Smart Cutlets

I received a few samples of Lightlife Smart Cutlets (which are vegetarian - faux meat if you will), for review, and they have been making it easier to have Meatless Mondays for the family. I've already reviewed the LightLife Spicy Sweet & Sour Smart Cutlets was pretty decent, so let me tell you about the Original Lightlife Smart Cutlets.

NUTRITION FACTS
Serving Size: 1 cutlet (85 grams)
Calories: 110
Total Fat: 0.5 gram, 1%
Saturated Fat: 0%
Sodium: 360 mg, 15%
Carbohydrates: 8 grams
Fiber: 3 grams, 12%
Sugars: < 1 gram
Protein: 17 grams

I followed the directions for doing it on the stove-top, but then got impatient and finished it up in the microwave - I was really hungry! First, I tried it as it - without any condiment enhancement. The texture was thick and ... meaty ... but without the meaty taste. In fact, the taste is sort of wheaty/ soy-ish - not really something I would eat by itself. I made a sandwich with it however, and doused in ketchup and Annie's Naturals Organic Honey Mustard - it was delicious. A pretty good way to get 17 grams of protein with very little fat.

Coupons.com

Each of the Lightlife Smart Cutlets (Original) (85 grams) provides 110 calories, 0.5 grams of total fat, 360 mg of sodium (15% of the daily value), 3 grams of fiber (12% of the DV), 17 grams of protein and less than 1 gram of sugars. The ingredients are, water, textured soy protein concentrate, wheat gluten, wheat starch, egg white powder, less than 2% of: yeast extract, cellulose gum, tapioca starch, potato starch, sea salt, natural flavor, salt, canola oil, sunflower oil.

A box with 2 cutlets costs $3.99 at my local grocery store, and I would buy this in the future - not to eat by itself - it definitely needs some seasoning, spices or condiments to enhance the flavor.

{Website: Lightlife}


View the original article here

No comments: