Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Why do you want to lose weight? (Rewind)

Question of the weekI can’t believe I’m about to say this but… THREE years ago I started a series of posts here on Roni’s Weigh called, Question of the Week. The idea was to stimulate some conversation and introspective analysis for those that are trying to lose weight. The series never really ended but the frequency in which I posted questions decreased when I went back to work. So I’m now reinstating the series by reposting my first question ever. I’ll be closing comments on the original post but if you have time, please click to read the responses. Lots of people shared their stories. It’s inspiring.

The following post was originally published 2/5/2008….

Every week I find myself responding to a lot questions ranging from the personal to generic, the detailed to the broad, the serious to the cute. As I answer each and formulate a response I started to realize my answers are not only beneficial to the asker but to me as well! They require me to perform a level of self-analysis that is helpful on my journey. Sometime the pause to ponder something we may not have considered before can point us in a new direction that can be beneficial.

This is the inspiration for a new weekly feature on my blog. I’m planning a weekly question to help you (and consequentially others who may be reading) on your weight loss/maintenance journeys. Feel free to add your answer and insights in the comments or post your response on your blog if you have one (be sure to place the link to your response in the comments so people can find you).  

So the first question may seem simple but it’s one we must ask ourselves as we embark on a journey to lose weight. For years my answer to the question, “Why do you want to lose weight?” was to be “Skinny”.  I wanted to be skinny for as long as I can remember but just wanting to be skinny wasn’t motivation enough to lose weight. In all honestly, my wanting to be skinny probably caused me to be fat.  

It wasn’t until I realized it was more then about just being skinny, it was about being healthy and happy with myself. My answer to this question changed in June 2005 when I gave birth to my son. All of a sudden being skinny seemed secondary. I wanted to be healthy, confident and a good example for my son. I wanted to be an active mom who wasn’t afraid to run in the ocean or build sand castles on the beach because I was so insecure in my skin. My reason for wanting to lose weight changed and consequently so did my success!

So I ask you,  Why do you want to lose weight?


View the original article here

No comments: