Total Pageviews

Monday, January 31, 2011

Secret Hidden Thoughts: When Life Revolves Around Food

Warning! McDonald’s food props are for demonstration purposes only.

Sometimes, it’s not until you are truly free that you can see with eyes wide open the bondage you were in.

Practically every hour of every day (no exaggeration), I used to think about food: What I would eat. When I would eat it. Where I would get it, blah, blah, blah. It’s not that I was eating every single hour, but I had food on the brain 24/7. For planning purposes, ya know?

Take a look into some of my (former) secret thoughts:

“I wonder what kind of cake it will be?”“I hope there’s lots of food so I can have extra.”“I can’t make it through the afternoon without a sweet snack.”“I’m still hungry.”“I’m going to hide this so no one eats it.”“I refuse to do anything else until I eat right NOW!”“There’s nothing wrong with 5 slices of pizza. I deserve it.”“I’m going to eat before I get there – just in case their food is nasty.”“No way I’m not sharing this. I’ll eat it after everyone goes to bed.”

Ohhh my! Today I realized that I don’t think like this anymore. Sure, I still enjoy food immensely – it still holds entertainment and indulgence value, yet food does NOT rule my thoughts.

But how did that change?

I stopped viewing food as a means to simply tickle my taste buds and, instead, started valuing it as my fueling source, and my means to strength, energy and nourishment. I slowly began to change the kinds of foods I ate until the wildebeest cravings ceased and particular foods just didn’t taste good to me anymore.

Now don’t get me wrong. I still love a good burger or a big azz slice of cake (please feed that to me?), but I’m in control now, and my day is not saturated with thoughts of food. So instead, I’m finally living my life – not thinking voraciously about my next meal.

How have your own thoughts toward food changed over time?


View the original article here

No comments: