Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Healthy Choice Ravioli Florentine Marinara

Healthy Choice Grilled Basil ChickenLet's talk ravioli - something that I love. Of the frozen dinner type meals I've tried, Lean Cuisine Cheese Ravioli is fantastic, Weight Watchers SmartOnes Ravioli Florentine is pretty good too, and Healthy Choice Pumpkin Squash Ravioli is just okay. One that I hadn't tried before was Healthy Choice Ravioli Florentine Marinara, so when I saw it on sale for $1.89, I was all about it.

NUTRITION FACTS
Serving Size: 1 meal (240 grams)
Calories: 240
Total Fat: 4 grams, 6%
Saturated Fat: 2 grams, 10%
Sodium: 540 mg, 23%
Carbohydrates: 37 grams
Fiber: 6 grams, 24%
Sugar: 11 grams
Protein: 11 grams

I put my standard bag of frozen broccoli to good use when I realized that there was not much in the way of veggies going on in this little black tray. Other than that, it looked like it could be a winner. The sauce was a well-developed marinara sauce, differing from a spaghetti sauce with a lighter texture and a more prominent tomato flavor. The little round pasta pockets were al dente and filled with a creamy, ricotta-like spinach mixture that was quite enjoyable. The only thing that was a bit overbearing was the cheese, which was a bit chewy, and a few bites were full of solely cheese. I also had about 2 tablespoons of the plentiful serving of cheese leftover when I threw the otherwise empty tray into the trash. If Healthy Choice would simply cut back on the cheese, a lot, I would add this dish to my favorites list. Then again, if I just remove some of the cheese on my own and add some frozen veggies for a little extra crunch factor and boost of vitamins, it's not too far off.

sponsor
Workout Music Playlists at IntheGym.net

Each Healthy Choice Ravioli Florentine Marinara dish provides 240 calories, 4 grams of total fat, which includes 2 grams of saturated fat (6% & 10% of the the daily value), 540mg of sodium (23% of the DV), 6 grams of fiber (24% of the DV), 11 grams of sugars and protein.

The excess cheese really drags down what would be an otherwise delightful dish. Plus, Healthy Choice should take the initiative and add some frozen broccoli, so I don't have to do it myself. Have you tried this before - what did you think?

{Website: Healthy Choice}


View the original article here

No comments: