Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Cedarlane Green Chili & Monterey Jack Cheese Tamales

Cedarlane Green Chili & Monterey Jack Cheese TamalesCedarlane Foods has some EXCELLENT products. TCedarlane All Natural Egg White Omelette With Uncured Turkey Bacon, Vegetables & Cheese blew me away and the Cedarlane Beans Rice & Cheese Style Burrito - so yum! So as I was browsing the frozen food aisle, another Cedarlane product caught my eye and I decided to try the Green Chili & Monterey Jack Cheese Tamales.

NUTRITION FACTS
Serving Size: 1 meal (9 ounces)
Calories: 270
Total Fat: 11 grams, 17%
Saturated Fat: 5 grams, 24%
Sodium: 700 mg, 30%
Carbohydrates: 39 grams
Fiber: 4 grams, 17%
Sugar: 4 grams
Protein: 9 grams

Now, I don't eat too many tamales, however, I can tell you that these are stuffed with lots of creamy cheese and a touch of crunchy veggies. The masa (the soft dough-like casing that surrounds the fillings) is thick and soft, just as it should be. When combined with the creamy filling, the overall mouth feel is smooth, with a slight textural difference from the al dente onion and spicy green chilis. The flavor profile was wonderfully developed, but perhaps a bit more of the roasted red pepper sauce would have made things even better. The masa to filling ratio was just a touch off with less emphasis on the latter, but I still enjoyed it.

I enjoyed the first tamale that is. By the time that I got to the second one, the mushy, doughy nature of the dish was getting to me though.

sponsor
Workout Music Playlists at IntheGym.net

How can this whole plate of substantially filling food only provide 290 calories? The 9 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber packed into each dish is a welcomed attribute, as is the short and all natural, mostly organic ingredient list. The 700mg of sodium (30% of the daily value) and somewhat high fat content of 11 grams of total fat, which includes 5 grams of saturated fat (due to the organic cheese, milk and oil) might make you think twice though.

I would like to suggest that Cedarlane offer one tamale with a side of some sort, instead of two, dense and doughy tamales - it was just a bit too much.

I paid $3.79 for Cedarlane Green Chili & Monterey Jack Cheese Tamales and, although it was delicious and the spices were spot on, the texture was too monotonous and the dish gave me a stomach ache of sorts by the time I had devoured the whole tray. The only reason I would shell out four bucks for this meal again, would be if I had a stove to cook up some crunchy veggies as a side dish or roasted chicken and a friend to split the dish with.

{Website: Cedarlane Foods}


View the original article here

No comments: