Total Pageviews

Monday, May 27, 2013

Wednesday Weigh In: Selling Ourselves Short

I was shocked at the scale reading this morning. If you are keeping score the past 4 weeks – pretty much since seeing my “magic number” on the scale —  I’ve shown a gain. So last week I decided to change things up, trust myself a bit more. I wanted to focus on what I was eating, not how much.

I didn’t talk about this last week, but I really think I was/am underestimating my calorie needs for my current activity level, especially with all my CrossFit workouts. Sometimes I still approach the eating/weight-loss thing as I did 8 years ago when I didn’t workout, run, or have 2 kids to tackle. I’m still grappling with lowering my calories because, well, that’s what worked! I was able to consistently drop 2 lbs a week through diet alone back then.

Now things are a bit more complex.

I’m not making excuses, just self observations.

Overall my new approach worked. I immediately felt less pressure to figure out how to enter something in MyFitnessPal or weigh out a serving. I started to get excited by making kale salads and fun ways to add more vegetables to my diet, but as the week went on I started to slowly slip into old habits. Little remnants of the perfection mindset were sneaking in and by last night I found myself binging on cookies because there was no way the scale wasn’t going to show a gain this morning.

I was self-sabotaging before even giving myself a chance.

I sold myself short and I’m going to bet you’ve done it, too.

I hopped on the scale this morning, eyes closed. I waited 30 seconds until the number locked in, and then I saw this…

20130522_weighin Trusting myself may be the hardest part of this journey.

I really felt fantastic all week too. I’m wondering if it may be time for me to step away from scale again, or at least figure out a way to track the data without the unconscious pressure I appear to be putting on myself.

GAH!

Enough about me! How was your week? I have to go anyway, I’m late for CrossFit! 


View the original article here

No comments: