Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

3 steps to committing to your workout time.

Whatever your workout may be it takes COMMITMENT to git it done!

Im a morning tweeter blog reader facebook poster exerciser.

We’ve flogged that poor dead horse already  & discussed why even though it works well for me it is NOT for everyone.

(I also adored how one reader was moved to write a rebuttal. I love me some rebutting!)

For me mornings are the perfect opportunity to TAKE some me-time.

Im completely selfish for about thirty minutes & the Tornado knows,  unless shes bleeding out the eyes or some such catastrophic event, it is MY TIME.  Period.

I also think she’s realizing, in the scope of her-time (with me), it’s pretty damn ephemeral.

Recently Ive seen a flurry of tweets from people who are struggling to commit to a workout time.

Any workout time.

In my typical overly excited misfit fashion, I grabbed my video camera and excitedly vlogged my four best typs.

In my new-found, super organized Carla fashion Ive transcribed an abbreviated version of the tips below.

You may choose the information procuring medium which works best for you.**

Three steps to committing (completely and finally) to a workout time:

Tell everyone your plan.  Decide when works best for you and share with anyone who will listen.  I found setting up the expectation of my doing something (this works in myriad realms) works in my favor and does not cause me to feel pressured. Or feel negative pressure anyway.  I feel pressured but in an ‘Im accountable so Im doing this no matter what” way.Know precisely what your workout will be.   Ive talked before about  having an exercise plan A *and* B.  Set yourself up for success (nothing derails a workout faster than thinking Hmmm what on earth should I do today?) and anticipate any problems before they happen (plan to run outside and it’s pouring? Foil excuses in the making with a Bad Weather Plan B at the ready). Make this time sacred.  We’ve all heard a million times “make your workout an appointment like any other important meeting!” yet so many of us still do not do this.  Additional tip? Even on rest days keep this time sacred.   Do not agree to other things (work etc) with the disclaimer “only because it’s a rest day.”  Do not give the external cues your exercise time can be flexible/shifted.    On rest days I spend this time focusing on healthy living.  Preparing healthy foods in advance, reading fitness material, meditation, stretching, foam rolling…you get the idea.

There you go.

My three best tips for picking an exercise time and committing to it.

The key word above being my.

How did you choose the time of day when you exercise? Any tips for making it a habit?

If you, like many of us, are still struggling to choose a time & have it stick what are some of your biggest hurdles?

**Dont panic. I do not anticipate this superfly organized vlog and transcript thing happening again. It frightened me as well.

(photograph courtesy of 2526 Studios.)


View the original article here

No comments: