Total Pageviews

Friday, September 30, 2011

Tasting! Alexia Sweet Potato Puffs

This is a multiple choice quiz. Now take a wild guess at what happened to the Alexia Sweet Potato Puffs:

a) They burned in the oven.

b) The dog ate them.

c) Water spilled on the leftovers.

d) I ate waaay too many Puffs.

Welp, I didn’t burn them, we don’t have a dog, and I surely didn’t eat too many. So the correct answer is C. The leftover Puffs did get water logged, but I didn’t give a damn.

Even after cooking them a few minutes longer than package directions, the Puffs only get sorta crispy on the outside and stay mashed potato-ish on the inside, so forget about a regular tater-tot experience with super crispiness. The flavor problem I keep getting with any kind of packaged sweet potato product is that they somehow lose the bold flavor that comes with a fresh sweet potato. I hate that.

Alexia’s Puffs are just fine and dandy: edible and likable in a ho-hum kinda way, but it’s like eating a sweet potato with 50% of your taste buds removed. The flavor is ghostly. It’s kinda tasty, but really only just a shadow of real, fresh flavor. So why even bother?

I thought these would be a hit with the Greedy Family, but I was almost stoned with stale dinner rolls for bringing the Puffs to the table. This is why I didn’t give a damn when the mound of leftovers got water logged. Someone (and it certainly wasn’t me) manged to run the leftover Puffs under faucet. How convenient, huh?

PUFFY NOTES

Price Paid: $4.59 for 6 servingsServing Size:  2/3 cupCalories: 130Fat Calories: 30Total Fat: 3.5gSat. Fat: 0gSodium: 230mgCarbs: 23gFiber 2gSugars: 8gProtein: 1g

REACTIONS FROM THE TASTE TEST CREW

Health-hater Husband: Eh, they’re just okay.

Greedy Kid #1: These are a fraud. They’re not like real tater tots.

Greedy Kid #2: Nope. I only eat this vegetable in sweet potato pie.

Yum UP! to: Sweet potato pie. Gimme summa that!

Yuck Down to: Burning flames in an oven. Been there, done that.

View the complete Taste Test Directory and Fast Food Cheats Sheets.

Get printable grocery coupons at Coupons.com.


View the original article here

No comments: