Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

GT's Enlightened Organic Raw Kombucha (Gingerade) Review

GTs Enlightened Organic Raw Kombucha

Kombucha (tea) is a fermented beverage made using yeast and bacteria (which forms the kombucha culture - often referred to as the "mushroom" or the "mother"). It has been all the rage on the internet for it's health benefits, but that has yet to be scientifically proven. Nevertheless, when I saw that GT's Enlightened Organic Raw Kombucha - Gingerade flavor provides only 30 calories and 2 grams of sugars per cup - well, needless to say I whipped the $3.69 out of my wallet pretty quickly ... did I hear someone whisper the saying, "a fool and his money are soon parted?"

NUTRITION FACTS
Serving Size: 8 ounces
Calories: 30
Total Fat: 0%
Saturated Fat: 0%
Sodium: 10 mg, 1%
Carbohydrates: 7 grams
Fiber: 0%
Sugars: 2 grams
Protein: 0 grams

Well, in this case, I think I came out a winner. The taste might take a little getting used to for some because it's like a tangy, carbonated beverage with a slight sting from the ginger. It's not sweet, but you won't miss that because there is so much more going on with the taste. This is the kind of drink that I prefer to take a sip of every few minutes, and not something I would guzzle an entire cup of all at once. That doesn't mean that I didn't like it - let's just say I preferred to savor it for a while.

As I mentioned before, GT's Enlightened Organic Raw Kombucha (Gingerade) provides 30 calories from 2 grams of sugars. There's also 25% of the daily value for folic acid and 20% of the DV for vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6 and B12. The ingredients are organic raw kombucha and fresh pressed ginger juice.

One of the products of prolonged fermentation is alcohol - so there may or may not be low levels of alcohol in the bottle you purchase (I had to show ID at the store I bought this from).

Needless to say, I'm a fan of GT's Enlightened Organic Raw Kombucha (Gingerade) - mostly for the nutrition facts & taste, but since it might help my health too - I'm even more into it ... I'm hoping the 1 billion probiotic organisms floating around in this drink is doing some good in my body! The only down side about this drink is the price - a 480 mL bottle (16 ounces), costs $3.99, which is a little expensive for me. So I won't be drinking this everyday, but I'll probably get it at least once a week - 30 calories and only 2 grams of sugars from a flavorful, organic, all natural drink simply cannot be beat!

{Website: GT's Kombucha}


View the original article here

No comments: