Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Chocolate Honey Cakes! (My Toast Ambassador Contest Entry)

Why slave in the kitchen with mixing bowls, a hot oven, impatient baking times and a ton of dirty dishes when you can make “cake” in about 5 minutes from prep time to chewing time with minimal kitchen duty. This is a Toast-Off, baby!

Chocolate Honey Cakes is my recipe contest entry.

The I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!® peeps invited me to participate in their Toast-Off to become their Toast Ambassador and score all the winner’s swag that comes with it, including $5,000 cash [insert jaw drop to floor here]! Now let your eyeballs read on to find out why I chose this recipe for the Toast-Off and learn how to “bake” it yourself.

The Inside Story Behind Chocolate Honey Cakes

I struggle in the kitchen. This is no secret, yet I have no shame in admitting my hungry shortcomings.

But wait!

Every once in a while when the pigs are outside flying, I hit a recipe home run that makes me want to back twist and belly flip from one end of the kitchen to the other (but please, people, do not try that at home).

Cake has always been a soft spot of my greedy-in-moderation joy. I happen to be the only person I know to participate in a one woman, cake-eating competition (eh-em, which I won, of course). And as for toast? Growing up, my nickname was “Bread”, so my intrigue with loaves and toasts smathered in buttery-tasting goodness is not some mythical folklore, okay?

Chocolate Honey Cakes is my tribute to the things that I love: Cake, toasty bread and buttery-tasting goodness. But there’s one other thing that I adore. It’s the reaction of my husband and our 4 child-spawns as their dessert-craving jaws chomp down on this delectable treat. Their faces become contorted with happy joy as they savor the feast and finally compliment me on my cooking.

Whew! I’m really lovin’ it.

CHOCOLATE HONEY CAKES: THE RECIPE

Utensils/Equipment Needed: Toaster, cutting board, butter knife, Chef’s knife (or substitute butter knife), measuring spoons, serving plate, and fork(s) – to help you feed your food trap this delectable creation.

INGREDIENTS (serving size: 2)

3 slices cinnamon-raisin bread (such as Pepperidge Farms)3 teaspoons honey1.5 teaspoons I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!® Whipped and Creamy1.5 tablespoons milk chocolate morsels3 pinches cocoa powder (1 pinch = approx. 1/8 teaspoon)

DIRECTIONS

Toast bread on medium setting (please do not use “crispy-charred” toaster setting).Stack toasted slices and cut off all 4 edges using Chef’s knife or butter knife.Spread 1/2 teaspoon of I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!® Whipped and Creamy onto each toasted slice. Whipped and Creamy is preferred because of its creamy, fluffy texture. It definitely enhances the complete dish.

*Now it’s time to “bake” your cake made of toasted, buttery-tastin’ bread slices (aka, the “cake layers”)

Transfer first “cake layer” to your serving plate.Sprinkle with 1 pinch of cocoa powder.Now drizzle on 1 tsp. honey.Add second cake layer and repeat process of 1 pinch cocoa powder and 1 tsp. honey.Add final cake layer. Repeat once more with 1 pinch cocoa powder and 1 tsp. honey.Finally, top with chocolate morsels.Cut into your finished cake with a fork and being to chew.

IMPORTANT NOTES

As you sprinkle the cocoa and drizzle the honey, be artistic about it – allow some of the cocoa and honey to be disbursed onto the plate itself to enhance your presentation AND for sopping the toasted bread around the plate once it’s on your fork. Mmmmm!It’s highly recommended that you build your cake layers immediately while the toast is still warm so the chocolate morsels will melt nicely on top.

[click on image to enlarge and activate mouth-watering delight]

Disclosure: This post was required as part of my I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!® Toast Ambassador contest entry. But contest or not, go on and make this at home so your own face can contort with happy joy, too. I’m so glad to share this recipe with you all. Enjoy!


View the original article here

No comments: