Total Pageviews

Monday, June 27, 2011

5 Steps I took towards Re-Prioritizing Today

As I said yesterday, it’s time to refocus. I’m tired of feeling stressed and overwhelmed, so today I took a few steps in the right direction.

Step 1: I Went for a Run

At 6 AM I was lying awake in bed, trying to sleep but failing miserably. I just knew the baby would be up within the hour to eat, and my brain wouldn’t shut down. Then it hit me–I could RUN! Why not? It would be a great way to start the day. All I needed was 20 minutes. If the baby woke up, the Husband could handle it.

So I strapped on my sneaks and headed out. It. was. AWESOME. I ran 2 miles in about 23 minutes. When I got back the baby was just starting to stir. I doubt I’ll be able to do this every day but I can react to the baby’s schedule and find time for myself. Running is something I like to do. It’s something I want to do. I need to find time for it, for me.

Step 2: Reduced my workload

I recently took on some additional blogging responsibilities for babble. I’ve been having fun sharing Little Bean on Baby’s First Year, and the company asked if I’d be willing to write more for them. I said yes, but it was simply too much. This morning I wrote them and said I would have to walk away from the other opportunity.

It felt good to relieve myself of a responsibility. I need to learn to say "no" more.

Step 3: Focus on healthy food and having fun in the kitchen

I’ve been eating mindlessly too much. Trying new foods and having fun in the kitchen helps me refocus on the food front. Today I scanned the pantry and took advantage of my herb garden, making Chickpea and Tomato Salad with Fresh Basil. It was DIVINE! I need to remember this the next time the husband temps me with an eating out request.

Step 4: Sleep IS Important.

Today I took a nap when the baby was napping. It was hard for me to do with an overflowing inbox and a messy kitchen, but I did it. It’s not healthy to live on 4-5 hours of sleep a day. Sleep is just as important as eating right and staying active. I need to respect it more.

Step 5: I Kept a Food Journal

Food journaling has helped me in so many ways. It’s an easy way for me to be more conscious of my choices, as I do have a habit of mindlessness munching. I’m committing to it for at least a week.

Here’s today’s journal.

Uncle Sams with almond milk and blueberriesFUN snack. Will post video of us making tomorrowHad fun with lunch! Wanting something fun and filling. I had a request from the little guy for more fruit. I had to comply. :)Burger on a whole wheat with all the fixins except cheese, a side of Spiced Sweet Potato and some cut raw veggies2 mile run + a walk to the library with the kidswater could have been better. Taking my vitamins now before bed.

View the original article here

No comments: