Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Dominex Veggie Fries Review

Dominex Veggie Fries

Dominex Veggie Fries are described as breaded Italian style eggplant fries ... with 65% less sodium than the leading brand of French Fries. There's a lot of underlying themes going on with this product - well, more like the things I made up in my head - but still, I sense an Italian vs. French fries battle and a eggplant vs. potato fries match-up.

NUTRITION FACTS
Serving Size: 85 grams (12 pieces)
Calories: 160
Total Fat: 9 grams, 14%
Saturated Fat: 1.5 grams, 8%
Sodium: 80 mg, 3%
Carbohydrates: 17 grams
Fiber: 4 grams, 16%
Sugars: 2 grams
Protein: 2 grams

If this were an Italian vs French war, then the French would have won. But don't get me wrong, it wouldn't have been a massacre, as the Dominex eggplant fries aren't too bad. They are thick, like crinkle cut fries, and when eaten hot (not burn your tongue hot of course), then the contrast between the crispy outside and softer "mushy eggplant" interior was pleasant. But as the fries cooled, the softer texture took over and it just wasn't appealing anymore. I like Dominex Eggplant Burgers, but the fries I'm really not a fan of unfortunately. Potatoes win!

sponsor
Workout Music Playlists at IntheGym.net

A serving of Dominex provides 160 calories, 9 grams of total fat, 1.5 grams of which is saturated (14% and 8% of the DV), 80 mg of sodium (3% of the DV), 4 grams of fiber, 2 grams of sugars and 2 grams of protein. The ingredients list includes, eggplant, soybean oil, wheat flour, water, corn starch, spices, garlic powder, dehydrated parsley, onion powder, extracts of paprika and annatto, and natural flavors.

For comparison, a 84 gram serving of Ore Ida Golden Crinkles, provides 120 calories, 3.5 grams of total fat, 2 grams of which is saturated (6% and 9% of the DV), 310 mg of sodium (9% of the DV), 2 grams of fiber, 2 grams of protein and less than 1 gram of sugars.

I received samples of Dominex Eggplant Fries to review, but the suggested retail price for a 396 gram bag is $4.49.

Dominex Veggie Fries

I do love getting food products to review, but alas, it's always hard to write about something received that I didn't particularly care for, as was the case here. I wouldn't buy this myself - I would stick to either regular potato fries or Alexia Sweet Potato Fries.


View the original article here

No comments: