Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 2, 2010

My Thanksgiving Plans

Writing everything down has always helped me get organized or at least FEEL more organized and I’m in desperate need of that feeling right now. I have 5 family members coming in tonight for the Thanksgiving and 3 more tomorrow morning. I’m very excited about the holiday but as Chief Cook and Host of the festivities, I have a wee bit of extra responsibility.

So I thought why not share my Thanksgiving plans. It will help me get organized, makes my shopping list and maybe give you some ideas as well. Albeit it’s awfully close to the big day so I doubt I’ll be any help at this point.

Last year I started a tradition that part of me regrets. Not because I think it’s a "bad" thing but because I tend to go overboard and these things are a HUGE temptation for me. One is fine but this momma can eat at least 3 before her internal full meter starts to even jiggle.

Curious yet? :) Ok, Ok, I make these….

They are fast, easy, tasty, and a CROWD pleaser! With the kids up at the crack of down and grandparents downing coffee just to stay awake, nothing beats the smell of a cinnamon bun.

I would love to make my overnight steel cooked oats and have a breakfast topping bar with dried fruit, berries and nuts but I fear it’s going a bit overboard for my family and honestly, the thought of the extra work at this point makes me shudder. I use my crock pot for the sweet potatoes anyway and I have a system where everything is in the pots they are going to be cooked in the night before.

And in all Honesty, I’m actually excited for the cinnamon buns as it’s the only time of year I eat them. So they are a total treat for me. :)

Why am I so worried about a stupid cinnamon bun? I just remembered next on my agenda is the turkey trot! Last year the Husband, Mom and the kids joined me. They walked. I ran. Not sure if anyone is tagging along this year but I’m registered and ready to go. So excited as I get to wear my running for two shirt and now I’m really showing!

I don’t want to put any pressure on myself but I’d love to finish it in about 35 minutes. That seems to be my pace now at 5 months. Regardless of how long it takes I’m excited, the running and the event put in me a good mood the rest of the day and in a weird way, help me deal with the stress of the holiday.

Note: Haven’t decided if I should put the turkey in before I leave yet. It’s a timing thing.

When I get back I put out the snack spread which holds everyone off until dinner. On my list..

Vegetable tray with hummus and dressing for dipping. I was going to go only hummus but I thought I’d ease the family into this year and see how they like it. So I’ll also have the white creamy stuff as back up.

Cheese and cracker plate. I rarely buy block cheese anymore as it’s another one of those things I have a hard time stopping once I start. But on Thanksgiving I’ll buy a few blocks and put together a platter with whole wheat crackers and a good salami.

Nuts! I always buy a bag of mixed nuts in the shells for the holidays. Actually I buy them all season. The fact that they are in the shells helps me not go overboard while adding the fun factor to make them appealing to the kids. Little many loves to open them up and is getting quite good at it!

Fruit Bowl. This year I’ll have clementines, apples and pears out for quick grabbing. It’s amazing how many gravitate to fresh fruit when it’s made readily available.

Ok, on my menu this year….

Turkey, of course. We are a bird stuffing family. I have a recipe for stuffing I experimented a while back with but alas the husband is a stove top man. With all my healthy additions to the meal I decided this year to cave and make the stuffing with a stovetop base. However! I will be using the whole grain version, adding sausage and a TON of fresh veggies, including leeks (got them from the farm,) celery, spinach and carrots. I may even add some pecans but that may be pushing it. ;)

Mashed Potatoes are covered! My "lightened" Recipe is a crowd pleaser so I’ll be making a bunch. Click here for my Creamy Mashed Potatoes "Formula"

Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes. These are also a crowd pleaser. This year I’m going to add some carrots because I’m overloaded with them. The best part of this dish is the prep and forget about it aspect. Simply put everything in the crock pot and bam! Amazing sweet potatoes ready at meal time. Click here for the slow cooker sweet potato recipe.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts. This was an addition last year and everyone loved them. I will make them like this but I’m considering adding some pecans and maybe a splash of balsamic vinegar. Haven’t decided yet though. Straight up seems to please everyone.

Corn. This is for the husband mostly. He’s a corn man. :) So I prepare some simply and put it on the side.

Cranberry sauce. We are a canned cranberry sauce family. I don’t care what people say about it, canned cranberry sauce is one of those things you only eat ones a year and it’s totally fun. I’m a HUGE fan. That reminds me.. got to put it in the fridge now to chill it for tomorrow! :)

Reduced Fat Crescent Rolls. This is our roll of choice for the meal. Everyone loves them and I just buy the reduced fat variety out of habit. We can’t tell the difference.

The only other thing I’m considering is a Harvest Type salad. I happen to have tons of spinach and arugula and I’m thinking that with some pears, dried cranberries, pecans, maybe a bit of cheese and a quick dressing would be a fun addition. I’m gonna gauge the family on that one tomorrow morning.

NOTHING. I have nothing planned except clean up and if it’s nice out.. getting the family outside for a game of spit or a nice walk. If it’s not.. we will be firing up the old Wii for the family fun. ;)

A few hours later we’ll have some Dessert and coffee. I picked up some butter cookies and biscotti from a local store and tonight I’ll bake up some quick Simple Pumpkin Spice Mini-Loaves. I’m also on the way to the store to pick up some last minute supplies, if an apple pie happens to catch my eye I’m game. It’s a favorite of mine.

That’s it! That’s my Thanksgiving! I hope you all have a wonderful, happy, healthy holiday. Be present and NO worries about your "diet." No one will remember what you ate our how you looked but they will remember the time you spent with them.

If you are BlogToLose member.. I’ll be peaking in on our post challenge! Have fun with it!


View the original article here

No comments: