Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 2, 2010

The "Paula Deen" Culture

Last week we had a great conversation about the San Francisco law concerning kids toys and happy meals. Without rehashing that debate I want to quote myself, as obnoxious as that is…

We have to change our culture not create more laws. Education, spreading a culture of health will go a lot further. Let’s build more side walks, fund more physical education and health courses in our schools, make healthy whole foods more accessible and affordable.

I truly believe this with all my heart. I’m tired of battling people on the "healthy" front. Including my own family. Last night I had an argument fun, lively discussion with the husband about walking to the park vs. driving. We literally live an 8th of a mile from a park (I know this as I run and have clocked it) and he wants to drive there. DRIVE! It reminded me of this funny picture

motivational poster

I see hoards of people waiting in line of a 3 story building to take the elevator instead of the stairs or people circling parking lots waiting for a close spot to open up when there are tons free just a little further back. I’m sure SOME of these people have valid reasons to take the elevator or require a close spot but I’d wager the majority of them are just being, well, I hate to say it, lazy.

Besides the activity front, or lack of, our food culture revolves around convenience and indulgence. I watch the food network and cringe at the amount of butter and sugar used for basic, otherwise healthy meals. Don’t get me wrong, I am NOT against any particular food, processed, convenience, or otherwise. My pantry has bags of chips, sugar, chocolate chips, and more pre-packaged baked goods than I’d like to admit. I take my son to the candy store on a weekly basis. I am NOT about avoiding anything. I truly believe in moderation and I think it’s VERY possible to indulge and eat a balanced diet. These things aren’t in competition.

I don’t normally go down this path. I believe in staying positive, doing my own thing and not focusing on the negative BUT we live in a world where obesity numbers are shoved down our throats yet we still feed crap in our schools and build more fast food restaurants than side walks.

I was inspired to write this post after having the following conversation on twitter with @ChrisPeden. I don’t mean to pick on Chris he was just the catalyst for me to explore these feelings of mine. Here’s what we discussed yesterday…

I tweeted out this link to an article I wrote for the Patch

Are you cooking Thanksgiving this year? How about trying one of these simple healthy ideas?

I’m not against indulging on Thanksgiving but I don’t see anything wrong with spreading some ideas to include more vegetables and having fun trying new dishes on this food centric holiday. That’s not how Chris interpreted. He responded with…

@RoniNoone oh come on roni, thanksgiving should be day for indulging!’

Now if you know me, I rarely let things go. I felt the need to defend my healthy Thanksgiving approach…

@ChrisPeden Oh I indulge.. don’t u worry. But I also like making healthy meals for my family! All in moderation why go completely overboard?

His response…

@RoniNoone one day won’t kill ya. I spend every other day watching my diet.

Here’s the funny think I agree with him BUT why point the finger at someone who’s trying to inspire by injecting some good healthy food on Thanksgiving? I just don’t understand. So I responded…

@ChrisPeden You are right. But if I want to be a little healthier what do you care? To each their own.

And then I find out he’s just trying to push my buttons…

@RoniNoone oh I don’t care. Of course to each their own. Just playing devils advocate.

I also enjoy playing devil’s advocate BUT I refuse to feel guilty about serving healthy meals to my family on Thanksgiving or any day of the year. It truly does make me feel good and it’s how I take care of my own.

@ChrisPeden You won’t get a rise out of me. ;) I totally agree w/ you but I still like to put a healthy spin on things. It makes me feel good

THEN the truth comes out….

@RoniNoone truth be told I would like to but extended family is so country they turn their noses up at anything not made Paula Deen style

The conversation ended with me saying…

@ChrisPeden lol yea.. I can see that being an issue. I tend to make my family deal. ;)

And I do. I make them deal. I feel bad for Chris. It’s hard to fight not only our unhealthy culture but your own family as well. I feel like he was trying to make himself feel better by playing devils advocate with me.

I refuse to subscribe to the "Paul Deen" culture of butter, butter, butter that Chris brought up. I like to FEEL good and making healthier choices FEELS good. Running helps me FEEL good. Watching my son eat a plate full of broccoli FEELS good probably as much as others feel good making an indulgant dish on Thanksgiving. Hey.. to each thier own but I show love with vegetables NOT butter and I don’t think there is anything wrong with that. That’s the culture I want to spread and I refuse to feel guilty about it.

Note: I read this post to the husband to proofread to which his response was, “I don’t care I’m still driving to the God Damn park!” LMAO he CLAIMS it’s a “logistical decision.”

Note 2: I feel the need to add I LOVE Paula Deen and actually watch her show all the time. Again, everything in moderation. The only reason I picked on her was because of Chris’s tweet about his family.


View the original article here

No comments: