Total Pageviews

Monday, December 9, 2013

Unapologetically Myself (musings on self-confidence).

004 225x300 Unapologetically Myself (musings on self confidence). this is all I want for her

Because I like to surround myself with the young-folk I have number of friends who turn forty this year.

(it blows my mind I had this blog when I turned forty.  please to take said disbelief as foreshadowing of shifts to MizFitCome.)

Because Im a semi-INTROVERT who shuns the small talk– we’ve had myriad conversations about aging, changing life perspective & goals we have for time that’s left.

In all of these conversations Ive found myself in the role of Oprah.

I play annoying-Oprah.  The Oprah who *repeatedly* shares how much better life is after 40.

(Im misfit enough to say this irritated me in my 30s.  It felt condescending.  Im certain, in my over-zealousness to convey the same sentiment, I potentially sound condescending. Im now such a  fervent believer I cannot help myself.)

004 225x300 Unapologetically Myself (musings on self confidence). 40 is not afraid to live this out loud.

I also share with my friends a musing from Francis McDormand  (paraphrasing).

She (essentially) said 40 was no longer being ‘checked out’ by the young boys & 40 rocked because she no longer saw herself through their eyes.

229399 10151437980389466 1722834571 n 300x300 Unapologetically Myself (musings on self confidence). Only my eyes matter.

Im not sure if it is because life feels too short to fret about what others think?

(I came to that early in life)

Or because turning 40 is a nudge toward What are you waiting for?! If you dont embrace & love *you* how will anyone else?!

(I was late to marry. I waited until I came to that notion.)

Or just because it’s too damn exhausting to try & be anyone else other than who you are?

(Thats me. Thats why my online brand wholly meshes with who I am offline, too.)

Regardless, it was right before turning 40 I finally captured in two words what I longed to convey to others.

myself4 Unapologetically Myself (musings on self confidence).

It’s what I am.

It’s what I want for my child.

It’s what Ive found myself repeatedly explaining recently to friends online and off.

Being Unapologetically Myself is quiet. It’s neither boisterous nor showy. It’s an authentic, natural expression of whom Ive grown to become and what my gifts are.Being Unapologetially Myself is listening. It’s realizing I do not know everything. It’s knowing when to ask for help.  It’s listening to my gut above all else.Being Unapologetically Myself is being willing to stand up.  For myself. For others. Not fearing being alone in my beliefs or being wrong out loud.Being Unapologetically Myself is being honest with myself.  It’s admitting I have faults.  It’s being candid with myself about who I am & what I need to work on.

Being unapologetically myself means Im ever evolving, changing and growing…

myself1 1 Unapologetically Myself (musings on self confidence). although not ‘sans-skull’ grown-up yet!

and, for me, is about being comfortable enough in my own skin to realize there’s room enough for us *ALL* to rock.

Now you.

Help me & spare my friends another TheGreatAndMighty O was right!!! rant:

No matter your age–how do you define “unapologetically myself” or self-confidence?


View the original article here

No comments: