Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

My social media love story.

Filled with love.

We’ve chatted about how EXHAUSTING and depleting social media can be.

We text, email, phone-chat, face book discuss and tweet about how it is simply impossible to have it all and how we’re all a weetad WIPED from the attempt.

Today, however, we’re getting all kinds of thankful for Thanksgiving & focusing on the *social* side of social media.

Ive been truly engaged online for only a handful of years.  Maybe seven?  And in that short time Ive fallen in love.

Completely, wholly, utterly and gratefully.

Before I share a few of my love stories, however, allow me one diZclaimer:

the below is symbolic of many relationships Ive found, fostered, nurtured & nudged into existence. one person representing a category of interaction. in no particular order and Ive left out many many many specific individuals. 

My first type of social media love is the ‘takes time to develop’ love.

I met Miss. Kelly Olexa years ago.  I can not recall where or how—but I immediately recognized her balls to the wall work-ethic and unapologetic love of the Mommy Merlot (AKA Diet Coke) as a kindred spirit.  Ahh how we’ve matured from our first vlog together to our latest hotel room workout.

My social media tip here is if you see someone regularly on a social media platform & wanna be her friend—reach out.  Take risks. Sure it wont *always* result in friend-love, but you wont know unless you try.

fitness magazine meet and tweet All growed up & speaking on panels together!

My next type of social media love is one I STILL reflect upon and think: “dang Im so so glad I reached out.  what if I hadnt?”

The fabulous Joyce Cherrier & I worked together back-in-the-day.  Not so much togethertogether but for the same brand. I liked her. I wanted to know her better.  I direct messaged her on twitter & she messaged me back her digits (!).  She’s been an integral part of all facets of my life ever since.

My social media tip here is put yourself out there. All of life is like dating.  I wanted to date Joyce I wanted to get to know Joyce & I put myself out there. Life is too short to wait.

With this one social media was JUST LIKE DATING!

GROUP LOVE is another kind of social media smittenhood as is my LOVE LOVE LOVE AFFAIR with a group whom I call the Original Gangsters (OGs) of fitness blogging.  Workout Mommy, Charlotte, Cranky Fitness, & Roni.  There are no words for my adoration & appreciation for these women.  They are my virtual water cooler peeps.

My social media tip here is to create a network of virtual coworkers.  Ours happened by accident.  There are no accidents.

crabby mcslacker Crabby McSlacker & me in 2008 (!).

There are no words/classification for the SOCIAL MEDIA & overall LOVE I have for Ryan Sullivan and his family but I shall give you six: Id. Not. Be. Blogging. Without. Him.

My social media tip here is dont be an island. Ask for help.

These two define the words GOOD PEOPLE.

My next classification of social media love began as the AWKWARD, PLEASE BE MY BFF, I ADORE YOU love.  I read her book. I longed for her to be my BFF.  BingBangBoom (I seriously cant recall precisely how–can you, Shauna?) a friendship & a podcast was born.

My social media tip here is sometimes–just occasionally–when you read a book and think DANG WE COULD SO BE FRIENDS! it really is true.

Yep. I made her be my friend!

Which brings us to the social media version/reminder of the fact true love is lasting.  Mrs.Fatass and I became cyber-bffs YEARS ago.  Life, work and crazinessment has butted into our relationship yet we can still pick up where we left off as if no time has passed.

My social media tip here is sometimes social media love can seem ephemeral and fickle.  Look again. It is not.

Blurry love.

And then we have the Seriously, you’re a ROCK STAR. I cant imagine knowing you love.  I give you Bitchcakes. (I love love love I knew the News Radio reference immediately.  Still. I never thought I could call her friend.)

My social media tip here is dont ‘pedestal‘ people.  ’nuff said.

tattoos, women tattoos, pin ups I never thought I’d meet Sheryl!

Ive only fallen in this LOVE once—but it’s still worth a shout out.   The I met you only once yet thanks to social media we shared an experience none of us will ever forget! love.

My social media tip here is to take risks! Feel the fear—do it socialmediaANYWAY.

real women models, fila personal performance What an amazing experience!

My final type of social media love is the love which takes you by surprise.  People whove become shockingly important on a day-to-day basis many of whom Ive yet to meet in person.  All represented by the photo at the top of this blog post. 

My social media tip here is to be yourself.  Be authentic. Be vulnerable. Be real. Tone down the sales pitch (be it items or your brand) and connect on a deeper level.

Those are my NINE (!) TYPES of social media smittenhood & all the people/representations of people Im uber grateful for during this month of thankfulness.

And you?

Do you have a different type of social media love so we can make this an even ten?
Who would you like to shout out to & thank for being a love’ing social media force in your life?
 Longing for a more traditional, tips-filled Thanksgiving post? Wanting some help for navigating tomorrow healthfully? I give you A MizFit Thanksgiving


View the original article here

No comments: